Happy Valentine’s Day!
What do you wish you could have learned sooner about gardening? Baxter Williams, a Master Rosarian, has been gardening in the Houston area since 1967. His garden has more than 600 rose bushes. He shared a lot of valuable tips and lessons learned – sometimes the hard way. When asked where he buys his plants, he recommended Congo Nursery in Pasadena, and Donna Marie immediately organized a field trip.
The Name of the Rose:
Huge turnout for the meeting and the hostesses prepared a delicious luncheon and desserts. Gratitude to Betty Lahiri for the beautiful room decor and party favors. Sharon Podolski confirmed Saturday, March 25th for the annual spring plant sale at the Farmer’s Market.
Ann Young presented Abutilon Biltmore Ball Gown for the Plant Study and donated the striking plant resembling Chinese lanterns to the drawing. At the horticulture table Diane Wedgeworth’s Africa Hosta (not a hosta at all, just looking like one!) was also a showstopper and added to the drawing. Thanks to Judy Jones for managing the club’s monthly drawings.
The Brief: important dates below. Check the meeting agenda for all pertinent club information and tons of gardening events in our area.
- Hospice Floral is on Tue, Feb 28th (instead of Feb 21st). Contact Sherry Copeland for questions.
- Field trip to Congo Nursery on Tue, Feb 21st. Contact Donna Marie Thornton for questions.
- Bring Easter bunnies for the Woman’s shelter to the March meeting. New toys only with price tag attached. Contact Mary Barnes for questions.
- Members are asked to donate 10 plants from their garden for the spring plant sale on Sat, Mar 25th (or $20 donation to the treasury). Please sign up to volunteer at the event, and spread the news to your family, friends and neighbors. This is our biggest fundraiser of the year. Contact Sharon Podolski for questions.
- Middle school students at St Anthony of Padua will learn how to make flower arrangements with our Hospice Floral Group on Fri, April 28th from 1 pm to 3 pm. Betty Lahiri will demo and lead the program, and we need a few more people to help out.
- Committees: our club thrives on the contributions of its committee members. Please check your directory and consider joining one (or more) of our 17 committees. Many hands make light work. Share your talents, skills, and expertise in exchange for growth, enrichment, learning and friendship. Contact Bitsey Crismon for questions.
Did you get lucky? If you were seated at a placemat with a heart on it, you took home one of Betty’s pretty vases, and everybody received a party favor gnome.
Many thanks to Maxine Wells, Detlev Simonis and Viviane Tondeur for the photos.
See you on March 14th!